HERMES Startup AWARD 2020 goes to Indonesian startup
Deutsche Messe premiered a startup category for the HERMES AWARD, presenting Mitra Sejahtera Membangun Bangsa, a young company from HANNOVER MESSE partner country Indonesia, with the new award. The jury, chaired by Prof. Dr. Reimund Neugebauer, President of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, selected the winner for its Smart Farming 4.0 project.
The winning product consists of a sensor network, database and app the together enable farmers to fertilise and irrigate their fields based on weather and soil conditions.
In addition, it provides farmers with real time information about expected soil and weather conditions. Artificial Intelligence continuously improves predictions and subsequent recommendations. Benefits include increased yield and quality of agricultural products as well as reduced use of fertiliser and water.
The presentation of the first HERMES Startup AWARD took place on 14th July as part of the HANNOVER MESSE Digital Days.
Prof. Dr. Reimund Neugebauer, President of the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft and Chair of the jury, said: "Startups are true innovation catalysers: As bridges between research and industry, they quickly turn new developments and technologies into applications and bring these to market. I am pleased to recognise Mitra Sejahtera Membangun Bangsa as a company that has used an AI solution to address several current challenges at once, including food quality and efficient use of fertiliser and resources."
Deutsche Messe annually presents the HERMES Startup AWARD to a company no more than five years old; the product or solution must feature a high level of technological innovation.
This year, the prize was awarded as part of the HANNOVER MESSE Digital Days. In 2021, the winner will be honoured at the HANNOVER MESSE opening ceremony.
The jury members:
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Reimund Neugebauer (jury chairman), President, Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft
- Prof. Dr. Wolf-Dieter Lukas, Undersecretary, German Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF)
- Prof. Dr. Friedrich Bleicher, Chair for Cutting Production Technology, Institute for Manufacturing Technology and High Power Laser Technology, Vienna University of Technology
- Ken Fouhy, Chief Editor, VDI Nachrichten
- Georg Giersberg, Business Editor, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
- Werner Götz, Chief Editor, Industrieanzeiger
- Prof. Dr. Kathrin Möslein, Vice President Outreach, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nürnberg
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Siegfried Russwurm, Universiy Erlangen-Nürnberg, Member of the Presidium, acatech
- Udo Schnell, Chief Editor, MM-Maschinenmarkt
- Claus Wilk, Chief Editor, Produktion
- Dr.-Ing. E.h. Manfred Wittenstein, Chairman of the Supervisory Board, WITTENSTEIN SE